Google Map Project

This is a great activity! As part of our classroom Community lesson, each student draws a paper map of their route to school. I would love to adapt this Google Map project for the classroom. We have smartboards in the class, so this could easily be done. They would love to see this on the board, especially with streetview. I have young students, so I'm not sure if they could do it themselves, but we could certainly take the information they draw, and translate it in an interactive project.

We are in a walking district, so all the information is hyperlocal. I took one set of data and mapped it:

With this idea, the student is able to (1) plot their house and the school, and the route. and then (2) plot their classmates's houses. None of the classmates' information changes, so they would be able to come up, with me, and each simply map their routes. This is the same information they put on their paper maps. We could then look at the street view, and walk the route to school. By pulling them up in small groups, and working on it interactively, we would be able to work through any tech hurdles  together. They're six year olds, so I'm sure there would be some.

I'm excited about this - I will be incorporating it into my Community unit for sure next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment