Web-based Software...the good & the bad

Google Docs

We use Google Docs in the classroom quite a bit. Our students use it school-wide, and we use it for document sharing. I tried forms, because that was something I was unfamiliar with, and it was actually a great experience. I took my beginning of the year parent survey and converted it to a Google form. You can view it here. I use this to collect information on my students. I actually found this really interesting. I think I may use this rather than the form I've used in the past, because it will collect all the data electronically for me, rather than the paper forms I've used historically.

Photo Editing

This, was a pretty mixed bag for me. I could not get FotoFlexer to run. It kept freezing on my screen. I am a heavy Photoshop user, so I was actually excited to compare it with some web-based apps, but when it wouldn't even run, I was pretty disappointed.

There have been some other web-based photo apps I've liked that have come and gone, and I love Flickr for web-based photo storage...I know Amazon does it now too, but I've never switched over. I started with Flickr and stayed pretty loyal. I use some of the basic photo-editing tools on some of the photo sites, and I do use two photo album sites to do all of my layout and album ordering. There are some great web-based tools out there, but for me, these weren't them.

Adobe's suite is now somewhat web-based, as is Microsoft Office online. I'm quite impressed with that functionality, and happy to pay my monthly Adobe fee for the quality I get in Photoshop vs. what I saw here.

Phixr functioned pretty well. It didn't offer manipulation, like PS does, but it did do great basic editing. For someone who doesn't want to pay, and just wants to do basic photo effects, color corrections, etc - this would be a good option.



No comments:

Post a Comment