Wikis and quizzes and web 2.0...oh my!

I enjoyed all the tools we've used so far. I used Blogger 12 years ago, when my son was born, heavily. And I stopped probably 5 years after he was born and never really picked it up again...it's good to dust it back off. It's a better way to communicate than sending emails, and an easier way to capture information in one place. And I DETEST Facebook. I would love to transition to this for parent communication.

My Socrative quiz is here. I'm not sure if you need the Room ID? If so, it's SARAHSCLASS.  I don't know that I would use this type of tool often in the classroom, but I do use Facebook polls often for parents, so this seems like it would be a useful replacement on a blog potentially? I don't love using FB for parents, but it has worked. I don't like the personal/professional mingling, but many of our teachers do it. It would be nice to just have a blog or wiki page with this sort of communication instead, and communicate all of the information that way. It seems much more professional. 

I can see the usefulness for these tools for sure with older students. In a lower elementary setting, they seem less useful to me but I do think students would be interested in playing with them. I guess perhaps I am a technophobe. I can make a poll for them, and ask questions, but I'd rather just have them raise their hands and do math the old-fashioned way. I would love to see them build the quiz - that is valuable learning. 
You can refer to my reflection on the article and wiki page here. I found it quite interesting. I don't disagree about how the web and web companies have changed.

I believe that these tools fit within exhibits and demonstrations. as well as visual symbols. Depending on the type of quiz developed, it could also be a direct purposeful experience, although not likely. But one could be creatively developed that is interactive enough to potentially meet this category.

As far as BYOD, I really struggle with this! It was shocking to me how many companies have adopted this! My husband is an IT Director and this concept horrifies him. I personally cannot imagine this in my classroom. We already struggle with kids and tech as distractions. I can't even keep those spinners out of the classroom, LOL! Again, I'm at an elementary level, so this is very different. Some of the districts mentioned had a standard - Google Chromebook for example. This I understand. but some of th
e others, with a Pandora's box of any tech - bring your phone, bring your iPad, etc - no thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment